Skip to main content

Episcopal Church of the Atonement

Not an active site.

Address

5751 N. Kenmore Ave.

Neighborhood

Edgewater

Architect

Henry Ives Cobb, 1890

Description

The Episcopal Church of the Atonement was founded in 1888 and began worship in this distinctive red stone building in 1890. Though the building has been expanded twice—to more than double its original capacity—it has always maintained the English Gothic style from its first architect, Henry Ives Cobb. The somber sanctuary, both grand and intimate, contains a booming pipe organ. Below the floor lies a columbarium where the remains of parishioners rest. The Parish House was added in 1924, and the sanctuary’s stained-glass windows were gradually installed from 1929 to 1946.

Archived In

2015