Clarke House is the oldest surviving structure within Chicago's original 1837 boundaries. It has operated as a house museum for 30 years. Its content explores the early history of Chicago and the city's extraordinary growth in the years leading up to the Civil War. Built for Henry and Caroline Clarke in 1836, the house is a classic example of Greek Revival architecture. Its elegant style represents the family's attempt to bring culture to the prairie. The house is furnished with beautiful period antiques from the collection of The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Illinois.
Behind the Scenes
Tour the house museum to see significant architectural features and period furnishings.