220 N. Euclid Ave.
Charles E. White, Jr., 1913
Designed in 1913 for a realtor and his family, the Cheney Mansion is a defining work of architect Charles E. White, Jr., a one-time apprentice of Frank Lloyd Wright who also designed the Oak Park Post Office and several local residences. The 12,000-square-foot Oak Park landmark, deeded to the park district in 1975, is popular for weddings and other private events. It sits amidst lush gardens on a 2.2-acre lot. Reminiscent of an English country manor, the brick home features grand formal rooms, six bedrooms and seven bathrooms. It bears the name of longtime owner Elizabeth Cheney, who resided there from the late 1940s until her death in 1985.