Catholic Charities Father Augustus Tolton Peace Center
Austin State Bank Building
5645 W. Corcoran Pl.
Frederick Schock, 1913
Catholic Charities Father Augustus Tolton Peace Center--also known as the Austin Bank of Chicago--was designed by Austin’s own Frederick Schock in 1913 with an annex in 1926 and a later Modernist addition in 1963. Schock is best known for designing nearby houses in extravagant Shingle and Queen Anne styles. As Austin’s resident architect, Schock was responsible for designing most of the early civic buildings including a library and train station for the fast-developing railroad suburb. The ownership of this attractive former bank building transferred to Catholic Charities in 2017. The new Father Augustus Tolton Peace Center is a community resource center that provides professional services to residents in need of violence prevention and intervention services because of abuse, involvement with (victim or perpetrator) violence, loss, and tragic experiences. Catholic Charities also provides assistance with rent, utility bills, job training, senior and veteran services. Lastly, they are in partnership with Maryville at this location, and provide parenting classes and health and wellness fitness programs.