Skip to main content

Catalyst Circle Rock

Not an active site.

Address

5618 W. Washington Blvd.

Neighborhood

Austin

Architect

Belli & Belli, 1954

Renovation

Eckenhoff Saunders, 2018

Description

Constructed in 1954, this long-shuttered auditorium is a great representation of Mid-Century Modern style. It features poured-in-place concrete with curving walls and spaces that interlock with the library and courtyard of the attached school. The school opened at the turn of the 20th Century as St. Catherine’s Academy and was later changed to Siena High School. The school shuttered in 1977 and remained vacant until 2008 when a charter school, Catalyst Circle Rock, began renovating the classrooms. The complex also is home to a church and Circle Rock Ministries. Now, a $4 million renovation of the Belli & Belli-designed auditorium is nearly complete. The restored space will seat 1,000 people and have all the components necessary to function as a multi-use performance space, including theatrical lighting, audio visual systems and acoustical panels to improve the projection of sound.

Archived In

2018