This imposing building was built as a synagogue for Jewish immigrants from Romania. It was purchased less than 30 years later by an African-American congregation under the leadership of Reverend J.M. Stone. As early as 1959, Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., spoke regularly at the church, and it was one of his key bases of support during the challenging 1966 Chicago Freedom Movement. The light-filled sanctuary with Star of David motif has been carefully maintained and preserved by the church, which successfully sought Chicago Landmark designation in 2016.
Behind the Scenes
Ascend to the carefully preserved sanctuary of this synagogue-turned-church where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke many times.