Skip to main content

Second Presbyterian Church

Address

1936 S. Michigan Ave.

Neighborhood

South Loop / Prairie Avenue

Hours

Sat, Oct 15: 9am - 5pm

Sun, Oct 16: 12:30pm - 5pm

Photography Permitted Wheelchair Accessible

Architect

James Renwick, 1874

Renovation

Howard Van Doren Shaw, 1901

Description

This National Historic Landmark has been the home church to many leading citizens of Chicago, including the Pullmans, Blackstones and Armours. Following a devastating fire in 1900, the congregation hired Howard Van Doren Shaw to rebuild the sanctuary in the Arts and Crafts style. Shaw's renovation incorporates rich wood carving, plaster decoration, light fixtures and pre-Raphaelite murals by Frederic Clay Bartlett. The church also houses an extraordinary collection of stained-glass windows including pieces by Tiffany Studios, Morris & Company, Louis J. Millet, McCully and Miles, and Giannini and Hilgart.

Behind the Scenes

Tour the church. Trained docents will highlight the significant features of the Arts and Crafts style used by Shaw in the rebuilding of the sanctuary.

NOTE: Parking is prohibited on streets near this site during the Chicago Bears home game on Sunday, October 16.