This distinctive red brick structure was built as a 45,000 sq ft family home for shoe manufacturer Joseph E. Tilt. The mansion originally had 14 bedrooms, 17 fireplaces, a library, ballroom, billiards room, wine cellar and gym. The Salvation Army purchased the property in 1920 to house cadets in training. In 90+ years, over 7,000 officers have been trained in the William Booth Memorial Training College (Booth Manor). The Tudor Gothic mansion includes a pitched roof and buttressed chimneys, and is surrounded by a 7-foot wall, all details reminiscent of secluded English country home, despite being located in the bustling heart of Lakeview.
Behind the Scenes
Tour the Salvation Army College for Officer Training, and see the grandeur of what was originally one of the largest mansions in Chicago.