Oak Park River Forest Museum (Cicero Firehouse)
129 Lake St.
William J. Van Keuren, 1898
Originally Cicero Fire Co. No. 2, this historic firehouse has been leased by the Village of Oak Park to the Historical Society of Oak Park-River Forest for the next 30 years. The Historical Society is in the middle of a painstaking $600,000 interior restoration and transformation funded privately by residents of the community. 115 years of false ceilings, deteriorated drywall and asbestos floor tiles have been removed to reveal the original Georgia-pine ceilings, walls and floors. The new museum and history center will be a community gathering place. It will house exhibits, programs and archival documents on two floors.