International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON)
1716 W. Lunt Ave.
Brydges & Somers, 1917
This imposing former Masonic temple has been the center of Chicago's Hare Krishna community since 1979. Set behind a small, inviting garden, the Classical-Revival building has an Egyptian twist that is visible in the stone frieze above the columns and around the entrance doors. The temple is home to some devotees and a community center for many more. They prepare, serve and enjoy special vegetarian fare between ceremonies and lectures. The grand ceremonial space houses shrines to a number of Hindu deities who are the objects of daily ceremonies involving chants, singing and dancing. The deities wear elaborate garb that is changed throughout the day, and they are given a variety of offerings.