First Presbyterian Church of Evanston
1427 Chicago Ave.
Sat, Oct 15: 9am - 1pm
Sun, Oct 16: 1pm - 5pm
Daniel Burnham, 1894
Warm Lemont limestone and a red tile roof make this Gothic-Renaissance church, with its 120-foot tower and open belfry, an inviting presence on the corner of Raymond Park. The historic congregation lost two wooden church buildings to fire. Then they hired noted Evanston resident Daniel Burnham to design this stone church. The vast sanctuary seats more than 1,000 congregants under a vaulted roof supported by heavy timber trusses with no major columns. The space is flanked by large arched stained-glass windows on both sides. Portions of the Aeolian Skinner organ date back to the original construction of the sanctuary.
Behind the Scenes
See inside the sanctuary where large timber trusses hold up the roof. A docent will present about the stained-glass windows at 2:30pm each afternoon, and there will be periodic brief organ performances.