5940 N. Sheridan Rd.
George Maher, 1909
Passersby on Sheridan Road have long wondered about this yellow brick, Prairie Style-inflected American Foursquare mansion. After more than a century as a private residence, Colvin House is being transformed into 6,000 square feet of co-working and event space. While the exterior of the house is quite restrained, the interior features over-the-top plaster ornamentation that was most likely added in the 1920s—it resembles the décor found in the lavish movie palaces of the day. Colvin House was designated a Chicago Landmark in 1994.